Through the combination of public-wide media coverage (pioneered by Spex and others), state-of-the-art surgical advancements and general cosmetic awareness among men suffering from hereditary hair loss, the hair transplant industry has seen a remarkable rise in inquiring and passionate patients.
Dermatologists, cosmetic surgeons and other doctors have, as a result, sought to add hair transplantation to their menu of cosmetic and surgical offerings. This is deeply problematic for two reasons:
- General cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists very often lack the years of specialized experience and practice required to perform Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT/Strip) properly and with care.
- Aware that hair transplantation demands years of rigorous and technical mastery, general cosmetic surgeons and dermatologists will bypass such proprieties by delegating hair transplant surgery to technicians using surgical devices.
It is this second reason, growing more common in American states lacking austere medical laws, with which we are here most concerned. A lack of political and legal monitoring and auditing of such clinics has led to numerous cases of patient abuse, mistreatment and out right cosmetic disaster.
More worryingly, the vast majority of patients undergoing this procedure do not realize they are being treated by untrained, illegal and often dangerous practices. Aside from post-surgical infections and botched scalps, patients’ lives are at stake, as hair transplantation is nothing like the simple cut and plug operation many clinics will have you believe. If a patient has heart disease or other special medical condition, for example, there is a very real danger of serious injury or even death.
An expanding network of unlicensed clinics are opening up across America, Europe and the middle east, under the aegis of indiscriminate surgical device brands and avaricious doctors. These clinics are profiting from visitors with little to no knowledge of the background science, art and proprietary measures of premier hair transplantation.
Hair transplant surgery can only be legally performed by licensed and properly trained surgeons and physicians. The California Medical Board has issued a stern and timely statement commanding the following:
- “Companies may be marketing surgical devices to physicians indicating that hair restoration surgery is a delegatable procedure.”
- “Physicians may not delegate hair restoration surgery to medical assistants, who are unlicensed individuals with a very limited scope of practice.”
- “Medical assistants may not perform invasive procedures such as creating holes or slits in a patient’s scalp with a needle, scalpel, or other device.”
- “California’s Business and Professions Code section 2052 prohibits the practice of medicine by unlicensed individuals, as well as aiding and abetting the unlicensed practice of medicine.”
Modena Hair Institute in Orange County, Beverly Hills and Las Vegas has issued numerous warnings for patients to be critically aware of the great risks posed by ill-trained, unlicensed and non-specialist cosmetic clinics.
At Modena’s state-of-the-art facility, Dr. Amir Yazdan limits himself to performing only one hair transplant per day, for the explicit purpose of total operation oversight and meticulous aesthetic success. No assistant or technician is ever allowed to operate on a patient. Dr. Yazdan performs and oversees the entire surgery, beginning with pre-op prep and through to post-op care. Patient safety and patient care are the pillars of our trade, and every precaution is taken to ensure that a person’s scalp is protected and perfectly enhanced.
Following a decade of follicular research and technical refinement, Dr. Yazdan has come to be recognized as an innovator in the field of hair restoration. He is also the only surgeon in the Orange County and Las Vegas area to be inducted into The International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons (IAHRS). Known as the hair restoration gold standard (FUE), Dr. Yazdan only conducts manual extractions using the smallest possible punch, for purposes of maximum accuracy, aesthetic precision and natural-looking design.
Dr. Amir Yazdan, MD, is an internationally renowned hair transplant surgeon, expert guest on Dr. Phil and The Doctors, creator of the GroMD hair restoration product line, ISHRS member, accredited member of the IAHRS and a visceral advocate for patient care. Learn more about Dr. Yazdan or read rave reviews from his patients.