Hot oil treatments are the latest at-home hair care trend. Oils such as coconut, olive, or jojoba are warmed and then massaged into the scalp.
According to regular users of hot oil scalp treatments, the oil nourishes hair, moisturizes hair, relieves scalp problems, and stimulates hair growth.
But how does it work?
Oils provide much needed nutrients to the hair. When hair is nourished, it is healthier and more likely to grow.
In addition, the motion of massaging the oil into the scalp increases blood flow and circulation to the scalp and follicles. This also increases the rate of growth.
The benefits of hot oil scalp massages range from treating dandruff to fungus. Make sure to research which oils target which hair ailments, so you can make the most effective concoction for you.
If you suffer from dry, brittle hair and want to try an all-natural remedy to bring moisture and health back to your hair – give hot oil scalp massages a try!
- Wash your hair – hair should be clean and product-free prior to the application of the warmed oil.
- Heat oil using the water bath method – put oil in a glass measuring cup. Place the cup in a saucepan filled with water. Bring the water to a boil.
- Apply the oil to damp hair via fingertips dipped in the warm oil. Work your way from the roots to the ends of the hair. Make sure to massage the oil into the hair. This helps stimulate blood flow to the follicles.
- Wrap your hair with a warm towel and let the oil soak in.
- After 20-30 minutes, rewash hair to remove the excess oil.
- Repeat once a week to once a month depending on the degree of help your hair needs.
A little goes a long way. Only a couple tablespoons of oil are needed.
Try mixing oils to see a wider range of benefits.